What is Search.altagit.com?
Search.altagit.com is unreliable search engine, which is strictly forbidden to use Windows web browser. This is a very harmful and stubborn browser hijacker infection that can easily ruin your windows computer in a very short period of time. In this article, we will discuss on the issues related to this fake search engine and discuss steps to remove Search.altagit.com from your computer.
It can generate various advertisements such as banners and pop-ups. Be very careful else it will redirect to malicious websites. When you click them, then it result in high-risk malware infections. This browser hijacker may track Internet Protocol (IP) address, website URLs visited, which type of pages you viewed, and other similar information. The data is transferred to third party that may misuse your private data to generate revenue. This behavior can lead to serious privacy issues.
Search.altagit.com infect into your computer secretly through free-ware application. After installation this virus will manipulate and change your default homepage and search engine. You might encounter every-time lots of annoying pop-ups. It may install more other threats into your computer. It may also steal your confidential data to illegal purpose. Your computer performance will get super slow as well as your Internet connection. The main objective of this hijacker is to promote their products and services to generate revenue. Follow the below given guide to remove Search.altagit.com ASAP.
Why It is Unsafe to Use Search.altagit.com?
Search.altagit.com will not be considered as a malicious browser hijacker at first glance, but it would turn out to be one when it starts to expose its true nature.
Such irksome browser malware is also known as redirect virus that can be bundled with potentially unwanted programs in order to infiltrate into computer system. When a dubious program is being installed on your PC, this malicious website will be loaded too and make changes to the browser settings without user’s authorization.
Once your browser is in full control of this browser hijacker, it is difficult to tackle the problems and get rid of the infection. When you launch your browser, you will find Search.altagit.com become the homepage and replace the default search engine on the sly. If you try browsing web pages on the Internet, you will be redirected to random websites every now and then. This is really irritating and you can’t use the browser properly. Moreover, the websites you are forced to visit often contain malware-infested ads. These annoying ads can be displayed on websites in various formats including pop-up, text, flash ad, video ad and so on. There are usually two possible outcomes if a user gets redirected to other web pages: receiving a lot of advertising contents and getting harmful programs. In some cases, the malware will be automatically downloaded and installed as the malicious website opens. It does not even need the user to click on anything.
Search.altagit.com can also collect users’ information without any notification. Users should be cautious of the information you provide to the infected browsers because this redirect virus is able to obtain your personal information when you use its services and products. This means that the information of anyone visits this website or uses this search engine can be easily accessed by Search.altagit.com redirect virus. The personal data it gathers includes your real name, address, phone number, date of birth, etc. Such important information usually will be used to customize the advertising and content that you will see on your screen.
This unsafe Search.altagit.com search engine is of no value and roguish. If you found it has been added to your browser and modify system settings or preferences, you have to get rid of it quickly from your computer. The longer the issue remains unresolved, the worse your computer performance will get.
What are the problems caused by Search.altagit.com
This infection constantly redirect user search result and set itself as a homepage.
It take control of the browser by installing malicious toolbar to browsers.
It get inside to the compromised PC without taking users permission.
It will open a new tab each time you open your web browser like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox without your permission.
It has the ability to steal users confidential information.
This infection will automatically inject registry entries and malicious files to the system.
You may get tons of pop up ads and other advertisements while surfing the Internet or you search online.
It will slow down your PC by consuming your CPU usage and resources.
It will easily crash down or freeze your browser and PC as well.
It will create desktop shortcuts, icons and some unwanted programs on your system.
Search.altagit.com browser hijacker removal guide
If your computer is infected with this browser hijacker, follow the instructions below to get rid of it from the PC. Have tried many manual methods but the virus is still there Try advanced anti-malware software as mentioned below to detect and delete the threats completely.
Step1:Run SpyHunter to find and delete Search.altagit.com
Step2:Uninstall potentially unwanted programs via Control Panel
Step3:Remove suspicious add-ons/extensions from browsers
Step4:Repair the default homepage and search engine
Step5:Delete Search.altagit.com from browser shortcuts
Note: With the steps above, Search.altagit.com should disappear from your PC. When your computer is infected with such unwanted software and you find the regular manual methods fail to work, use SpyHunter and the problem can be fixed soon. They can find and remove Search.altagit.com completelyfrom your PC with only a few clicks.
Step1:Run SpyHunter to find and delete Search.altagit.com
SpyHunter is an anti-malware program that can detect and remove browser hijackers, adware, spyware and other malware completely. It provides you free malware detection. Follow the steps below to delete the infections within your system by using SpyHunter:
- Click here to download SpyHunter.
- SpyHunter starts to scan your system for malware. The scanning may take a few minutes to finish.
- Once done, all the threats on your PC will be showed in the scan results. The tool provides you with brief info and related infections of the threats. You can expand to view more details about the malware. To clear the infections, click on the Fix Threats button.
- You need to purchase the full version of SpyHunter to completely wipe out Search.altagit.com and other infections.
Step2: Uninstall potentially unwanted programs via Control Panel
Some other additional programs may come along with the browser hijacker.To free up your hard disk space and prevent from further problems, please uninstall those uninvited programs via Control Panel.
- Click on Start button and select Settings.
- Click on Systems.
- Select Apps & Features. All the installed programs will be displayed on the right
- Find any program that you don’t want, select it and click on Uninstall button
- Click on Uninstall in the pop-up to confirm the removal. Remove the unwanted programs with the given instructions completely.
- Use Windows key + X key combination to bring up the Power User Menu.
- Select Programs and Features from the menu.
- Search for the program s that may come along with Search.altagit.com browser hijacker, select them and click on Uninstall button.
- Follow the prompts to completely remove the unwanted programs.
- Click on Start button and choose Control Panel.
- Click on Uninstall a program under Programs category (View by: Category) or Programs and Features(View by: Large icons).
- Find the programs that were installed without permission, select them and click on Uninstall button one by one.
- Complete the removal by following the instructions on the screen.
- Click on Start button and select Control Panel.
- Double click on Add/Remove Programs.
- Select any program unfamiliar to you that was installed recently, click on Remove button.
- Follow the instructions to complete the uninstallation.
Note: If the programs can’t be removed from Control Panel as usual, you may consider using an advanced malware removal tool to uninstall them thoroughly. For the sake of your PC, it’s not suggested that you leave these unexpected programs on the PC.
Step3:Remove suspicious add-ons/extensions from browsers
Sometimes Search.altagit.com browser hijacker may be caused by certain browser extensions/add-ons. Follow the guide below to disable or remove the harmful add-ons/extensions.
- Click on Tools or the IE menu (gear icon) button, and then click Manage Add-ons from the menu.
- Click on Toolbars and Extensions under Add-on Types.
- Remove any add-on that is unfamiliar to you by selecting it and clicking on the Remove button.
- Click on Tools on the menu bar or the Mozilla Firefox menu button and then select Add-ons.
- In the Add-ons Manager page, click on Extensions on the left side.
- Find any unwanted add-on and remove it by clicking on Remove button next to it.
- Click on the Chrome menu button in the top right corner of the browser and then select More Tools ->Extensions.
- Find any extension related to Search.altagit.com or strange to you and click chrome-trashcan-icon to remove it.
Step4: Repair the default homepage and search engine
If your default homepage and search engine have been changed to Search.altagit.com, follow the guide below to reset them.
- Click on the Tools or the IE menu button (gear icon) and click Internet Options.
- Click on the General tab, check Home page field and delete Search.altagit.com if it is there. Then enter the address of the website that you’d like to set as the default homepage instead. Click OK to save the changes.
- Click on Tools on the menu bar or the IE menu button (gear icon) and select Manage add-ons.
- Click on Search Providers under Add-on Types. If any unwanted search engine is listed there, select it and click Remove button and then click Close. Choose a search engine you want and click Set as default to set it as the default search provider.
- Click on Tools or the Firefox menu button and select Options from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the General on the left side. Under Startup, make sure When Firefox starts: is set to Show my home page. Delete Search.altagit.com from the Home Page field if you see it there. Then enter the address of your preferred website.
- Click on Search on the left side. Under Default Search Engines section, select the one you’d like to set as the default search engine by clicking on the arrow icon.
- Under One-click search engines section, select the search engine you you don’t want and click on Removebutton. Close the page and the changes will be saved.
- Click on Chrome menu button and select Settings.
- Under On startup, select Open a specific page or set of pages and click the Set pages. Delete Search.altagit.com and enter the URL of your preferred page in the blank field and click on OK to save the changes.
- Scroll down to the Appearance section, click on the Change link. If any unwanted URL is displayed there, please delete it by clicking on the “X” button. Then type the address of the website you’d like in the editable field and click on OK button.
- Scroll down to the Search section, click on the arrow button and select the search engine that you want. It will become you default search engine.
- To delete the unwanted search engine, click on Manage search engines… link. Delete the search engine you want to remove by clicking on the “X” icon. Click on OK button to save the changes.
Step5: Delete Search.altagit.com from browser shortcuts
The browser hijacker may add an argument like Search.altagit.com to your browser shortcuts.In this way, the site can open automatically every time you start the browser. To fix the issue, you need to delete the annoying argument from the browser shortcuts as below:
- Locate to your IE/Chrome/Firefox shortcut icon on the desktop, right click on it and select Properties.
- Check the shortcut path and make sure there are no extra characters like the URL of the browser hijacker behind the target path (e.g. “C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe”.) If any harmful content is found, please delete it and then click on OK to save the changes.
5 Ways to Protect PC Safe
1: Disable image previews in Outlook
Simply receiving an infected Outlook e-mail message, one in which graphics code is used to enable the virus’ execution, can result in a virus infection. Prevent against automatic infection by disabling image previews in Outlook.
2: Don’t click on email links or attachments
It’s a mantra most every Windows user has heard repeatedly: Don’t click on email links or attachments. Yet users frequently fail to heed the warning.
Whether distracted, trustful of friends or colleagues they know, or simply fooled by a crafty email message, many users forget to be wary of links and attachments included within email messages, regardless of the source. Simply clicking on an email link or attachment can, within minutes, corrupt Windows, infect other machines, and destroy critical data.
3: Surf smart
Many business-class anti-malware applications include browser plug-ins that help protect against drive-by infections, phishing attacks (in which pages purport to serve one function when in fact they try to steal personal, financial, or other sensitive information), and similar exploits. Still others provide “link protection,” in which Web links are checked against databases of known-bad pages.
Whenever possible, these preventive features should be deployed and enabled. Unless the plug-ins interfere with normal Web browsing, users should leave them enabled. The same is true for automatic pop-up blockers, such as are included in Internet Explorer 8, Google’s toolbar, and other popular browser toolbars.
4: Use a hardware-based firewall
Technology professionals and others argue the benefits of software- versus hardware-based firewalls. Often, users encounter trouble trying to share printers, access network resources, and perform other tasks when deploying third-party software-based firewalls. As a result, I’ve seen many cases where firewalls have simply been disabled altogether.
5: Deploy DNS protection
Internet access introduces a wide variety of security risks. Among the most disconcerting may be drive-by infections, in which users only need to visit a compromised Web page to infect their own PCs (and potentially begin infecting those of customers, colleagues, and other staff).