What is searchpots.ru?
searchpots.ru is malicious website which has been categorized as browser hijacker which attacks on your all browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer etc to keep your search redirected to malicious website for fetching a lot of problem for you. Mostly, users invites searchpots.ru without their knowledge when they download freeware audios, videos, games etc and after clicking some spam emails etc.
At this same matter, you should not believe its related search results and when you go to web surfing works each time then you will be frequently rerouted to some third party websites. On the other ways, searchpots.ru is known as stubborn redirect program which is capable to implant plenty of unstoppable pop-up advertisements and suspicious links within your reliable search results. After getting successfully infiltration of this hijacker threat, it will severely embed lots of additional browser toolbar, plug-ins or browser helper objects to your computer browsers without giving any notification. After this, searchpots.ru may utilize as an advanced or sophisticated rootkit to disable the overall functions of several security tools and some routine applications. It is a really frustrating and pesky threat which tracks your relevant cookies, net browsing histories and other critical information. Therefore, it is better to get rid of searchpots.ru infection from your system as early as possible.
The Risks of Browser Hijacker
Picture that no matter which website you try to visit, there are a lot of pop up ads show up on the screen and even try to stop you from scanning website contents. That mush be annoying! As dangerous as it can be to set a browser hijacker as homepage, or we can say that it sets its page to be homepage, that type of search page will not work well with malicious purpose. For most browser hijackers, the site link would look different to users. And when we use them as a search page to browse, we would getting the same trouble.The search page is nothing, the ads and results it shows is what we should be careful about. The search results can be fake and dangerous to click. The pop up ads can be risky as they might contain potential unwanted downloads, adware, browser hijacker and other thre
ats that will be automatically downloaded once any of the pop up link, image and text is clicked.
Once browser hijackers control web browsers, they used up many system resources and the CPU will reach 100% every now and then. Web browser is a port which link computer users and the internet. This makes computer very vulnerable for hackers to hack or for threats to infect once the door between computer and hacker or threats is completely open.
What is more, when malicious third parties take the chance to attack computer, it keeps the computer system in a high stress, high CPU, which will make computer stuck. Changing your homepage to an unknown page would be terrible, according to the analysis of many detailed unknown pages. Obviously, that is not practical for most users to never download third parties or browse the web.
The Spread of Browser Hijacker
So why users keep browser hijacker on computer since it is dangerous? The issue here is that no one wants to get browser hijacker added to web browsers, most of users are forced to download it or others even do not notice the download at the beginning. Sometimes experiences put you through circumstances that show you what is the main cause of installation of browser hijackers. Focus on the one which has been recently downloaded, rather than checking all programs installed on computer. Be careful of all resources and content that can be found through the internet. For you may not know which one of them is the threat that may your computer crash down.
The most possible way to get infected by malware is that you may click on nasty links, download malicious programs, insert infected drives and open insecure email attachments. “Scam artists are using technology in increasingly insidious ways to harm innocent consumers and taxpayers,” said TDCI Deputy Commissioner Bill Giannini. And it is no doubt that we all have the experience of clicking on malicious pop up ads or links.
“ Phishing or spear-phishing attacks remain among the most common and most difficult to prevent for many organisations. The response has often been to increase the sophistication of attack detection techniques, frequently resulting in more heavily locked-down systems. This increased security has resulted in many attacks being blocked, however, even the most robust controls will not necessarily prevent a user from falling victim to a targeted phishing email. Clicking on a malicious link in a moment of distraction is far too easily done, even for the most security savvy individual.”
Is searchpots.ru Dangerous ?
searchpots.ru implants its malicious codes into the computer system without user’s knowledge.
This infection displays a fake notification or security alerts, warning on the system screen.
It overrides important Windows registry entries in order to cause permanent damage.
It will alter or modify the browser settings such as DNS, search provider and browser homepage.
This infection consumes the resources available in your CPU in order to make the system performance dull.
Steal vital or confidential information and pass them to cyber criminals to earn money.
How to Remove searchpots.ru from Computer?
Please follow our professional removal steps to quickly get rid of searchpots.ru. You should know that browser hijacker should be removed from the infected computer as soon as possible in order to prevent further damage created by it. You can choose the manual removal method provided below or use an automatic anti-malware removal tool to eliminate searchpots.ru and all its malicious files and registry entries.
Free download searchpots.ru Automatic Removal Tool (Strongly Recommended)
Manual Removal Steps – Only suitable for experienced PC users
Step1: Remove searchpots.ru from Chrome/Firefox/IE
Remove searchpots.ru from Chrome
- Click the menu button at the top right corner of Chrome and then choose Settings from the drop down menu.
- In the Settings window, click “Set pages” link of “On startup”.
- Delete searchpots.ru homepage link “http://searchpots.ru/” by clicking X icon at the end and then click OK button.
- Return to the Settings window, click “Change” link of “Appearance”.
- Delete the unwanted homepage link “http://searchpots.ru/ and then click OK button.
- Now, scrolling down, click “Manage search engines” button.
- First, select Google or another preferable one as your default search engine by clicking Make default button. Then remove the unwanted search engine searchpots.ru by clicking X icon at the end. After finishing the operation, click Done button.
Remove searchpots.ru from Firefox
- Click the menu button at the top right corner of Firefox and then click Options.
- In the Options window, delete searchpots.ru homepage link “http://www.searchpots.ru/”. Then you can type a preferable page as your new homepage or click “Restore to Default” button.
- Now switch to click Search tab on the left, search for the unwanted search engine searchpots.ru and then click Remove button to delete it.
Remove searchpots.ru from IE
- Click the gear icon at the upper right corner of Internet Explorer and then select Internet optionsfrom the drop down menu. (For Windows 8 user)
Note: For Windows 7, Vista, or XP user, click Tools menu and then choose Internet Options from the drop down menu.
- In the Internet options window, delete searchpots.ru homepage link http://searchpots.ru/….Then you can type another desired web address as your new homepage or click Use new tab. After that, click Apply → OK button.
- Open your Internet Explorer again, click the gear icon at the upper right corner and then select Manage add-ons from the drop down menu. (For Windows 8 user)
Note: For Windows 7, Vista, or XP user, click Tools menu and then choose Manage add-ons from the drop down menu.
- In the Manage add-ons window, click Search Providers on the left. Choose Bing or other preferable one as your default search provider by clicking Set as default button. Then click Remove button to delete searchpots.ru.
Attention: If you can’t successfully remove searchpots.ru in this step, you are highly recommended to get rid of this fake search provider with the help of an automatic and professional malware removal tool.
Step2: Fix your Chrome/Firefox/IE shortcut target.
For Chrome user
- Right-click your Chrome shortcut on your Desktop and then selectProperties from the drop down menu.
- In the Properties window, delete all the malicious components behind …\Application\chrome.exe. And then click Apply → OK button
For Firefox user
- Right-click your Firefox shortcut on your Desktop and then select Properties from the list.
- In the Properties window, delete all the harmful components behind …\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe”. And then click Apply → OK button.
For IE user
- Right-click your IE shortcut on your Desktop and then select Properties.
- In the Properties window, delete all the unwanted components behind …\Internet Explorer\iexplorer.exe”.And then click Apply → OK button
Step3: Uninstall searchpots.ru and any suspicious programs from Windows.
For Windows 7 user:
- Click Windows Start→Control Panel → Uninstall a program under Programs.
For Windows XP user:
- Click Windows Start → Control Panel → Add or Remove Programs.
For Windows 8 user:
- Right-click Windows Start (at the lower left corner of your screen) → Control Panel → Uninstall a programunder Programs
- Look for any suspicious programs from the currently installed programs and then click Uninstall.
searchpots.ru Automatic Removal Tool – SpyHunter
SpyHunter is a top anti-malware/anti-spyware removal program which specially designed to assist the average computer user in protecting their PC from malicious threats. The top removal software can detect, remove and block browser hijacker, adware, spyware, rootkits, keyloggers, Trojans and more. In addition, SpyHunter responds with advanced technology to stay one step ahead of today’s malware threats and offers additional customization capabilities to ensure every user is able to custom tailor SpyHunter to fit their specific needs. Now download SpyHunter to have a full scan of your PC and run it to quickly get rid of searchpots.ru virus as well as all potential threats.
>> Click button below to free download the top malware removal tool.
Installation procedure of SpyHunter
- Once finished downloading, double-click SpyHunter-Installer.exe on your computer.
- Click Run button.
- Choose the language you prefer and click OK button.
- Click CONTINUE button to go on.
- Now SpyHunter is installing. Please wait for a moment.
- Click FINISH button to finish SpyHunter installation.
- Launch SpyHunter to have a full scan of your PC by clicking Scan Computer Now.
- Once finished scanning, please click Fix Threats button to remove all detected threats.
Note: SpyHunter’s free version only provides free scan and detection to your PC. To get rid of searchpots.ru and other potential threats, you need to purchase the full version of SpyHunter.
Considering the tricky browser hijacker searchpots.ru may have modified your browser settings. Therefore, to ensure your PC is thoroughly free from the virus, you’d better reset Chrome/Firefox /IE to default setting.
Reset Google Chrome
- Click the menu button at the top right corner of Chrome and then select Settings from the drop down menu.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click “Show advanced settings”.
- Continue to scroll down to the bottom of the page and click “Reset settings”.
- When a message box pops up as shown below, click Reset button to reset Google Chrome.
- Restart your computer to take effect.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
- Click the menu button at the top right corner of Firefox and then click the help icon at the lower right corner.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- In the opened window, clickRefresh Firefox button.
- When a message box pops up as shown below, click Refresh Firefox button to reset Mozilla Firefox.
- Restart your PC.
Reset Internet Explorer
- Click the gear icon at the upper right corner of IE and then select Internet options from the drop down menu. (For Windows 8 user)
Note: For Windows 7, Vista, XP user, click Tool menu → Internet Options.
- In the Internet options window, click Advanced tab at the upper right corner and then click Reset button.
- After a window pops up as shown below. Check the Delete personal settings and then click Reset button.
- Then you will see a message box as shown below, click Close button.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Mentioned below are 3 steps to avoid malware while browsing the Web:
1.Do not be lazy to update your antivirus software. If antivirus software is not updated, then you are leaving your computer open for all kinds of malicious attacks from the minute of expiration of the software.
2.Do not click on the phishing mails, which shows that you have won something or saying that your account is at risk, which generally creates a sense of urgency. A Phishing mail usually asks for information’s such as usernames, passwords and credit card details by masquerading as a trustworthy entity. No banks or trusted organizations will ask their users to do that.
3.Do not forget to delete system’s cache, passwords or history. Easiest place for a malware like software to hide in the system generally tends to be in the temporary folders where browser cache, passwords or history is stored. If one fails to check this, then the possibility of identity theft and stealing of bank and email information’s are inevitable. If possible try to reset your browser frequently.