What is Websearch.searchtotal.info?
Websearch.searchtotal.info suspicious search engine frequently enters in Windows based system via software bundler, freeware and similar related ways. At first you would notice strange homepage of your browsers after it takes invasion into the computer. Furthermore the search engine will be turned into different as well. You would certainly receive a compromised search result page while searching any information from browsers. Other than that many unnecessary plug-ins, add-ons will be installed whether you like or not. Websearch.searchtotal.info also makes instant redirection of your search towards other unreliable sites. In addition several advertisements and pop-ups keep appearing on browser. In fact the authors of this threat have primary intention is to increase the website traffic along with making profit by using unethical process. That’s why Websearch.searchtotal.info always try to make an endorsement through showing ads that have non means at all.
Even more Websearch.searchtotal.info can keep a close eye on the Online activities which include the most visited websites for showing related ads according to one’s choice. This way it interferes in the privacy of users. The loading speed of browser would be increased and the speed of Internet dragged down. Other than that It can also mess up with overall system which is quite annoying for you for sure. This concludes that running this threat will be very dangerous for someway or the other. Hence there is urgent need to get rid of Websearch.searchtotal.info for the security.
Identity theft?is the deliberate use of someone else’s?identity, usually as a method to gain a financial advantage or obtain credit and other benefits in the other person’s name,?and perhaps to the other person’s disadvantage or loss. The person whose identity has been assumed may suffer adverse consequences if they are held responsible for the perpetrator’s actions. Identity theft occurs when someone uses another’s personally identifying information, like their name, identifying number, or credit card number, without their permission, to commit fraud or other crimes. – Wikipedia
So far there are many users’ computers infected with Websearch.searchtotal.info virus. From the description of the victims given below, you can see that Websearch.searchtotal.info is stubborn browser hijacker and hard to be removed by common anti-malware programs or simple manual removal. Actually, it is not terrible if you can seek for the effective way to get rid of ?the browser hijacker?in time once infected with it. Keeping the threat on PC for a long time, the potential harms caused by it will be greater. To avoid further damage, it is highly recommended to eliminate Websearch.searchtotal.info malware with a Top Malware Removal Tool.
Without question, computer is vulnerable to attack by malware if you don’t form a good habit of surfing the Internet. However, it is really difficult to get rid of it from computer especially some stubborn malware just like Websearch.searchtotal.info. So it is quite important to know about how the malware or spyware come into the target computer.
Browser hijacker Websearch.searchtotal.info enters the target computer through all kinds of tricky means which users won’t notice. However, the most popular way is bundled with third party applications particularly some freeware that are often downloaded by users such as Windows Media Player, game software like Cheat Engine, PDF reader, Adobe Flash Player, Video Downloader, etc. To avoid installing malware or other potentially unwanted programs, it is advised you to pay close attention to the software downloads and installation. To download freeware, you’d better go to its official website. Most users may not know that lots of notorious websites are designed by hackers or cyber criminals to spread malicious programs. Be cautious when downloading freeware.
When it comes to software installation, many users often ignore reading the EULA or Terms and Agreement during the installation process. To prevent your PC from malware or spyware attacks, you should read each step on the setup wizard. In addition, do not agree to install any recommended software that you are not familiar although the software claims that how useful it is. Well, it is also advised to select Advanced or Custom installation instead of Express, Quick or Default installation. Why I suggest you to do that? The purpose is that many rogue applications usually conceal within these two options and they are checked by default. Without choosing either one, you may install other potentially unwanted programs on your PC along with the target software.
Detailed Information about Websearch.searchtotal.info
|Threat Type||Browser Hijacker|
|Windows OS||Window 7/Vista/XP/8/10|
|Target Browsers||Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer|
|Spreading Route||Freeware downloads and installation, Pop-up ads, Sponsored links, Spam e-mails, etc.|
|Note: This Free Scanner only helps to detect malicious software on your PC. To remove the detected malware, you have to purchase the licensed version.|
How Your PC Got Infected With Websearch.searchtotal.info
Visiting untrusted websites and getting convinced for free downloads.
Peer to peer network file sharing, bluetooth sharing, etc.
Downloading pirated version of games, applications, media player and other programs.
Visiting and clicking malicious links for instance pornographic, torrents, suspicious pop-ups so on.
Connecting any infected peripheral devices with the computer
Opening junk or spam attached mails received from unverified source.
Updating current installed programs/applications preferably from from redirected links.
Problem aroused because of Websearch.searchtotal.info
Keeps redirecting you to shaky domain causing more and more infection.
Alters all the original settings of the browser so as to take full power over it
Can replace homepage and default search engine with new one.
May collect and disclose your private data to cyber offender causing some devastating outcomes.
PC settings will also get modified without any kind of approval.
Capable to hit registry entries MBR and startup log.
Can corrupt any applications or programs preventing you from accessing it.
Can download and install various other spyware like adware, Trojan, keylogger, browser hijacker, etc.
Websearch.searchtotal.info browser hijacker removal guide
If your computer is infected with this browser hijacker, follow the instructions below to get rid of it from the PC. Have tried many manual methods but the virus is still there Try advanced anti-malware software as mentioned below to detect and delete the threats completely.
Step1:Run SpyHunter to find and delete Websearch.searchtotal.info
Step2:Uninstall potentially unwanted programs via Control Panel
Step3:Remove suspicious add-ons/extensions from browsers
Step4:Repair the default homepage and search engine
Step5:Delete Websearch.searchtotal.info from browser shortcuts
Note: With the steps above, Websearch.searchtotal.info should disappear from your PC. When your computer is infected with such unwanted software and you find the regular manual methods fail to work, use SpyHunter and the problem can be fixed soon. They can find and remove Websearch.searchtotal.info completelyfrom your PC with only a few clicks.
Step1:Run SpyHunter to find and delete Websearch.searchtotal.info
SpyHunter is an anti-malware program that can detect and remove browser hijackers, adware, spyware and other malware completely. It provides you free malware detection. Follow the steps below to delete the infections within your system by using SpyHunter:
- Click here to download SpyHunter.
- SpyHunter starts to scan your system for malware. The scanning may take a few minutes to finish.
- Once done, all the threats on your PC will be showed in the scan results. The tool provides you with brief info and related infections of the threats. You can expand to view more details about the malware. To clear the infections, click on the Fix Threats button.
- You need to purchase the full version of SpyHunter to completely wipe out Websearch.searchtotal.info and other infections.
Step2: Uninstall potentially unwanted programs via Control Panel
Some other additional programs may come along with the browser hijacker.To free up your hard disk space and prevent from further problems, please uninstall those uninvited programs via Control Panel.
- Click on Start button and select Settings.
- Click on Systems.
- Select Apps & Features. All the installed programs will be displayed on the right
- Find any program that you don’t want, select it and click on Uninstall button
- Click on Uninstall in the pop-up to confirm the removal. Remove the unwanted programs with the given instructions completely.
- Use Windows key + X key combination to bring up the Power User Menu.
- Select Programs and Features from the menu.
- Search for the program s that may come along with Websearch.searchtotal.info browser hijacker, select them and click on Uninstall button.
- Follow the prompts to completely remove the unwanted programs.
- Click on Start button and choose Control Panel.
- Click on Uninstall a program under Programs category (View by: Category) or Programs and Features(View by: Large icons).
- Find the programs that were installed without permission, select them and click on Uninstall button one by one.
- Complete the removal by following the instructions on the screen.
- Click on Start button and select Control Panel.
- Double click on Add/Remove Programs.
- Select any program unfamiliar to you that was installed recently, click on Remove button.
- Follow the instructions to complete the uninstallation.
Note: If the programs can’t be removed from Control Panel as usual, you may consider using an advanced malware removal tool to uninstall them thoroughly. For the sake of your PC, it’s not suggested that you leave these unexpected programs on the PC.
Step3:Remove suspicious add-ons/extensions from browsers
Sometimes Websearch.searchtotal.info browser hijacker may be caused by certain browser extensions/add-ons. Follow the guide below to disable or remove the harmful add-ons/extensions.
- Click on Tools or the IE menu (gear icon) button, and then click Manage Add-ons from the menu.
- Click on Toolbars and Extensions under Add-on Types.
- Remove any add-on that is unfamiliar to you by selecting it and clicking on the Remove button.
- Click on Tools on the menu bar or the Mozilla Firefox menu button and then select Add-ons.
- In the Add-ons Manager page, click on Extensions on the left side.
- Find any unwanted add-on and remove it by clicking on Remove button next to it.
- Click on the Chrome menu button in the top right corner of the browser and then select More Tools ->Extensions.
- Find any extension related to Websearch.searchtotal.info or strange to you and click chrome-trashcan-icon to remove it.
Step4: Repair the default homepage and search engine
If your default homepage and search engine have been changed to Websearch.searchtotal.info, follow the guide below to reset them.
- Click on the Tools or the IE menu button (gear icon) and click Internet Options.
- Click on the General tab, check Home page field and delete Websearch.searchtotal.info if it is there. Then enter the address of the website that you’d like to set as the default homepage instead. Click OK to save the changes.
- Click on Tools on the menu bar or the IE menu button (gear icon) and select Manage add-ons.
- Click on Search Providers under Add-on Types. If any unwanted search engine is listed there, select it and click Remove button and then click Close. Choose a search engine you want and click Set as default to set it as the default search provider.
- Click on Tools or the Firefox menu button and select Options from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the General on the left side. Under Startup, make sure When Firefox starts: is set to Show my home page. Delete Websearch.searchtotal.info from the Home Page field if you see it there. Then enter the address of your preferred website.
- Click on Search on the left side. Under Default Search Engines section, select the one you’d like to set as the default search engine by clicking on the arrow icon.
- Under One-click search engines section, select the search engine you you don’t want and click on Removebutton. Close the page and the changes will be saved.
- Click on Chrome menu button and select Settings.
- Under On startup, select Open a specific page or set of pages and click the Set pages. Delete Websearch.searchtotal.info and enter the URL of your preferred page in the blank field and click on OK to save the changes.
- Scroll down to the Appearance section, click on the Change link. If any unwanted URL is displayed there, please delete it by clicking on the “X” button. Then type the address of the website you’d like in the editable field and click on OK button.
- Scroll down to the Search section, click on the arrow button and select the search engine that you want. It will become you default search engine.
- To delete the unwanted search engine, click on Manage search engines… link. Delete the search engine you want to remove by clicking on the “X” icon. Click on OK button to save the changes.
Step5: Delete Websearch.searchtotal.info from browser shortcuts
The browser hijacker may add an argument like Websearch.searchtotal.info to your browser shortcuts.In this way, the site can open automatically every time you start the browser. To fix the issue, you need to delete the annoying argument from the browser shortcuts as below:
- Locate to your IE/Chrome/Firefox shortcut icon on the desktop, right click on it and select Properties.
- Check the shortcut path and make sure there are no extra characters like the URL of the browser hijacker behind the target path (e.g. “C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe”.) If any harmful content is found, please delete it and then click on OK to save the changes.
Mentioned below are 4 steps to avoid malware while browsing the Web:
1.Do not open a fraudulent email or spam mails. Clicking on a fraudulent email will allow the cyber criminals to easily access your computer. Also never access any account information like bank info through email links which can allow access to your account information. Also ensure to have a back up for emails like how you keep record of important hard copy documents. Make sure that all the attachments are scanned before opening them.
2.Do not forget to log out of any account that you have logged in, especially when you are at a cybercafé.
3.Do not download free stuff like screen saver, videos and pictures from other websites. Downloading free stuffs from unknown website can dangerously harm your computer. Suddenly the computer begins to slow down as malicious software’s come along with those downloads. And always access safe websites to download useful information or data.
4.Do not allow an unknown person in your social networking accounts like Twitter and Facebook. Social networking websites have become a craze in the modern generation. Hence, protecting one’s identity and account is really important with increasing threats on the Internet.